undercurrents is Ottawa’s festival of independent theatre, produced by the Ottawa Fringe team and taking place at Arts Court from February 10–20, 2016. Now in its sixth year, undercurrents seeks original, innovative work by Canadian artists.
The festival will consider applications from established and emerging artists who are working in new play creation, as well as from those touring original work. We encourage submissions from artists experimenting in form, style, and creation process.
We are also seeking submissions from artists who have short pieces (under 30 minutes), works-in-progress, or live art/installation pieces to be programmed in the Arts Court Studio.
Participating productions will receive up to five performances in rep, within a shared venue environment (i.e. a shared lighting plot with show-specific specials, shared dressing room space, limited tech time and storage space). Productions should be 50-80 minutes in length, and must be able to set up and strike in less than 30 minutes.
Companies and artists who wish to have their production considered for undercurrents are invited to submit the following materials no later Friday, July 31, 2015 at 5:00 pm.
- A proposal describing the project and its history (maximum three pages)
- A list of participating artists and biographies/CVs of lead artists
- Detailed technical specifications for the production
- A script sample or completed script
- An archival or promotional recording of the proposed play (if available)
- Additional support material: reviews, photos, or letters of support (optional)
Applications will be accepted in electronic format only. Applicants are asked to send all written materials in a single PDF file, and provide links to video-sharing sites where archival or promotional recordings of the proposed work can viewed.